Friday, April 13, 2012


Back on top once again. Tonight I went undefeated at FNM, taking clear first place.

I decided to run R/G Wolf Run once again because the deck brought me so much success in the past. Although I had been debating all week whether or not to leave the Galvanic Blasts in the main deck I decided at the last minute to keep all 4 copies. My sideboard was altered however, to deal with the now prevalent early aggro strategies that have taken over the format due to Strangleroot Geist.

In the first round I played against a U/W control deck running the Venser / Dignitary combo. My opponent's deck really wasn't running enough countermagic for a control deck, and several Titan copies were able to seal the game and the match for me.

In round 2 I was paired against Ryan Engbrecht, who I consider one of the best players at the tournament. Ryan was running Naya Pod  again ( a decklist can be found here ), since he had so much success with it this week, scoring a first place win at Ancient Wonders on Tuesday and a near undefeated performance at Guardian Games on Sunday. Although I had to mulligan the first game, I was able to slam down timely copies of Slagstorm and Inferno Titan to regain card advantage and seal the victory. In the second game I was again forturnate to draw timely copies of Beast Within and Inferno Titan and the match ended in my favor 2-0. Ryan was never really able to get the Birthing Pod active.

In the third round I played David, who as has yet to beat me in a sanctioned game. David was able to run a R/G aggro deck ( a decklist can be found here ) after I loaned him several copies of Sword of War and Peace before the tournament. I wasn't happy to be playing against my own cards. The first game went in my favor, but the next game was incredibly close.  This matchup is really just about whether the aggro deck can do 20 points of damage before the Wolf Run deck can stabilize. At one point in the second game, I was at like 6 life, with FOUR Titans in hand, and David threw down a Manabarbs! This card is amazingly effective against my deck and David easily won game two. At the end of the game, Chris announced that only 5 minutes remained in the round and David and I agreed to a draw.

The final round, I was paired against Jonerick who was running B/W Tokens ( a decklist can be found here ). I really like this version of B/W tokens, and I was unsure before the game who was the favorite to win. Unfortunately, my opponent never found a third land in game one, and I won easily. In game 2, my opponent missed the second and third land drops, and I won the game after casting Primeval Titan and Inferno Titan.

This victory put me in clear first place, as there were no other undefeated players. Back on top once again! For my efforts I was awarded 8 packs, 4 of which were Dark Ascension, and 4 of which I took as credit for Avacyn Restored packs. I cracked a couple mythic rares out of the Dark Ascension packs, but nothing too exciting. Most importantly however, I was awarded the foil FNM Dismember card shown above. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment