Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's been a long time since my las post so I should probably write something. Sorry about the delay, but I had some poor tournament results lately and that always reduces my motivation to blog. Since my last post, I have played in three Magic events: 2 Standard tournaments and 1 Modern tournament. I didn't place higher than 6th in any of the tournaments, which led to a general distaste for the game of Magic.

However, there is some good news. Gatecrash has been released, which means the Standard format has become slightly more interesting. In addition, there was a PTQ this weekend, which was pretty fun to watch.

STANDARD

A few Fridays ago I went to the FNM at Guardian Games. I ran the usual Junk Angel deck, with some minor refinements to the sideboard to accomodate perceived shifts in the metagame. The most notable thing that happened during the tournament was a Judge call in one of the middle rounds. For those interested, here is what happened:

1.     I have a Fiend Hunter, exiling my opponent's Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.
2.     My opponent has a Ravager of the Fells, or in other words, a flipped Huntmaster.
3.     My opponent also has a Silverblade Paladin, soulbonded with the Ravager of the Fells.
4.     It is the end of my turn. My opponent casts Restoration Angel, and I ask, "targetting?"
5.     He states: "Ravager of the Fells."
6.     I respond by casting an Restoration Angel, targetting my Fiend Hunter.
7.     The Fiend Hunter leaves play, returning Thalia, Guardian of Thraben to the battlefield, and
        when Fiend Hunter returns, I announce the trigger and target Ravager of the Fells.
8.     The question is: Will my opponent be able to soulbond his Silverblade Paladin to his
        Restoration Angel?

The answer is no, but it was sufficiently complex to warrant an appeal to a level 2 judge. My first!

I played against Bant Control in the final round. I beat my opponent in the second game, on the very last turn of the time control, tying the match at 1-1. There wasn't time for the final game, so we drew the match, and thus, we shared 6th place. Had I won the match, I would have placed second. Still, 3-1-1 is respectable.

On the following Sunday I took Junk Angel to another Standard Tournament at Ancient Wonders. I scored 1-2, losing to Bant Control and Mono Red. It was a painful result and I'd rather not talk about it.

Junk Angel thus retires 46-17-1 (73% wins) in its current version, and 68-34-12 (66% wins) overall.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment