Sunday, April 7, 2013

Well, there's a lot of Magic to report so I better get to it. I played in five Standard events since my last report, scoring  12-4-3 overall and a couple of first place finishes.

There weren't any super-interesting matches to report, but I noted the following.

First, Naya Blitz is a problem for my deck. A turn one Champion of the Parish into a turn two Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is a serious problem for my deck, especially when I'm on the draw. Naya Blitz has Boros Charm to counteract the effect of Supreme Verdict, so even if I do make it to five mana to cast the Supreme Verdict (with Thalia, Guardian of Thraben out), there's no guarantee the verdict works. The matchup is not one I like. I've hated Thalia since the days of RG Wolf Run.

Second, Esper Control seems to be the only other deck I fear. They have more Nephalia Drownyards than I do, which generally means they win the mill battle. I usually lose game one, but find that I'm better prepared after sideboarding. They also can't sideboard out all their removal like I can because Thragtusk can still kill an opponent quickly if left unchecked. Still, overall I think the matchup favors Esper slightly.

The above-described events bring my score with Dark Bant up to 32-14-3 (69.5%).

No comments:

Post a Comment