Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Trust Your Intuition


How many times do I have to learn to trust my intuition before I finally heed the lesson? I played in another MTG Standard tournament this evening at Ancient Wonders, scoring 2-2 and taking 6th place out of 8. I piloted Tempered Steel again, which proved to be a poor decision. The deck lost its first two rounds to Haunted Humans. The combination of Geist of Saint Traft or Mirran Crusader and Angelic Destiny was simply too dificult to deal with. I remained in the tournament to try and salvage what I could. I received the bye in round 3 and won against a U/B control deck in round 4.
However, the criticalt decision of this tournament came at the beginning. Before the first round, and before I decided what deck I was going to play, I learned I was paired against Ryan E and his Haunted Humans deck. I decided to play Tempered Steel but for a moment my intuition told me Mono-Black Infect would have been a better decision. The Haunted Humans deck has no effective answer for Phyrexian Crusader. Thus, I feel it was a mistake to simply lean back on a deck that has done so well for me in the past, rather than to try something new and put myself at risk of losing. I tested my Mono-Black deck against Ryan's Haunted Humans after our match and went undefeated. My decision to play Tempered STeel was incorrect.
On a more positive note, I should mention that my intuition to build a Mono-Black infect seems to have been correct. Mono-Black exploits a particular weakness in the metagame with cards like Distress and I'm looking forward to trying the deck out perhaps tomorrow or Friday. The deck needs refinement, but I think it's almost ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment