Friday, January 6, 2012

Tyranids (Ryan) vs. Chaos Space Marines (Adam) 1500 pts.

As you all may or may not know, I've had a lot of free time on my hands lately since school is not in session and I'm on vacation from work. I've spent a lot of this free time gaming. Today I played Warhammer 40K against Adam at the local gaming shop. In the past I would usually play Eldar against Adam's Chaos Space Marines, and for that reason (and for no other reason, such as lack of skill) my record against Adam is like 2 wins, 5 losses, 1 tie. Don't quote me on those figures, but trust me the result is quite embarassing. Because of this terrible win percentage against Adam and others, I switched to Tyranids and my results immediately improved. Tyranids are simply a better army. Going into this game against Adam I was 1-0 with the 'Nids and I wanted to extend the streak. Little did I know, Adam was about to even the score. The game was set at 1500 pts (designed to take about 2 hrs).
I ran a list similar to one Ty ran against me a few weeks prior: 1 Tervigon, 2 x 10 Genestealers, 1 Broodlord, 7 Hive Guard, 6 Raveners, and 2 Trygons. Adam ran 1 Chaos Lord, 4 x 10 Chaos Space Marines, 2 Defilers, and 1 Vindicator. The mission was Annihilation, the deployment was Dawn of War. Adam deployed first and got to go first.
I don't really want to go into the specifics since a true battle report would take up half the page. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
In dawn of war you may only deploy 2 troops and 1 HQ at the start of the game. I infiltrated my two genestealer squads into positions where they were extremely threatening. The first squad (in the lower left, above) used the building to block line of sight and ran straight for Adam's Rhinos. The second squad (under the landing pad in the center of the board, below) also blitzed toward the enemy.

Turn 2 everything else had to walk on from the edge of the board (see below). This especially sucks for Tyranids since they have to run the length of the board to get into their preferred close combat with the enemy. Luckily I had the landing pad to use as cover. Adam and I agreed that anything under the pad was "in cover" for the purposes of determining saving throws.
By turn 3, my genestealers were all dead from one lucky shot from the Vindicator (Adam's luck is well-documented), my two Trygon's successfully entered the board but taking heavy fire (see below).
I don't have any shots of the board in the final turns. Adam and I were rushing a bit to finish. If I had any pictures, you would see my army was almost completely obliterated. Nevertheless, it was a close game with very little arguing. I look forward to playing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment