Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"...and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left." —Exodus, 14:22
·   











Okay, I'm starting to get a little cocky. I ventured to Ancient Wonders on Tuesday for the usual Standard tournament, scoring 3-0 and taking clear first. I defeated Adam Brown and Ryan Engbrecht along the way, two of Portland's finest. Ryan was running Travis Woo's mono-red deck, and Adam was playing U/W Flash.  Both matches were close and required a third game. In the final round I played against Jason, running U/W Control, aka Jace/Tamiyo. I won that round on the back of Craterhoof Behemoth, Restoration Angel, and Zealous Conscripts.

I feel bad about my match against Adam. I played a Cavern of Souls, naming Beast. Several turns later, I tapped the Cavern of Souls and played a Craterhoof Behemoth. Adam attempted to Essence Scatter it and I reminded him the Cavern was on Beast. He put the Essence Scatter back in his hand and attempted to untap his mana. I made him resolve the Essence Scatter, and I soon won the game. I might have won regardless, but do you readers think that is too much "rules lawyering?" Every level 1 Judge I've talked to said I did everything right, but I just wonder if I'm being too much of a punk. Then again, money is at stake...and I think playing Magic well means playing accurately and being aware of what's going on. Then again, it was just another Tuesday tournament; it wasn't like a PTQ or GPT or anything and I could have just let it slide. I don't know; I'm back and forth on this.

As I said above, I'm getting a little cocky. Over the last 17 games, the deck is now 15-1-1, with an overall record of 37-18-3. I'm starting to assume I'm going to win, which is never good in any competitive environment, Magic included. I need some humbling losses, and I'm considering venturing to Red Castle for their Wednesday Standard tournament tomorrow to try and get my ass kicked. I know good Portland players often attend.

I cashed in my Ancient Wonders prize money today. I generally like to save my prizes to get something nice, and I dream of one day getting like a Bazaar of Baghdad or a Mox Jet if I ever save enough. I had about $65 after Tuesday's finish, and I purchased a foil Unhinged Swamp, a foil Thragtusk, and a foil Talrand, Sky Summoner for my EDH deck. Not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment