Sunday, November 11, 2012


I've had positive results with my deck lately. I made some changes to my Junk Angel deck and started winning fairly consistently. Here are the results.

I started playing this deck on 10/9/12----the Tuesday before the Oregon State Championship. I didn't make any serious changes to the deck until 11/4/12. During that time (about a month), I scored 22-17-2, which means I had a 56% match win percentage (I don't count draws as "at bats"). Those results include the 0-4 nosedive at States. Obviously, 56% is nothing to write home about, and my frustration with the deck's inconsistency was mentioned in my last post.

However, on 11/4/12 I made some changes to the deck, adding more Restoration Angels and another Seraph Sanctuary, thus increasing the chances of obtaining the infinite life combo. Since making those chagnes, I've scored 12-1-1, including two first place finishes (one was a GPT) and a third place finish on Tuesday.  My match win percentage is 92% when considering only these latest results, which means this deck has been dominating. All together, the deck is 34-18-3 (61%), but these most recent matches have been really promising.

Despite the deck's recent success, there is some cause for concern. On Tuesday my only loss was to Ryan Engbrecht running UWr Midrange. During the match, which I lost 0-2, I generally felt like the matchup wasn't good for me. Geist of Saint Traft is a problem for my deck, and when combined with other problematic cards like Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, Jace, Architect of Thought, and Searing Spear, the matchup feels unfavorable. Cavern of Souls is a great card against these UWx decks, but this is definitely a matchup I will be keeping an eye on.

In fact, UW and UWx decks seem to be gaining more prevalence in the current metagame. The most recent SCG in Dallas was won by a UW Flash deck, and on Sunday there were more than a few copycats. A lot of Hallowed Fountains out there right now.

Until next time. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment