Wednesday, November 21, 2012



I knew I was getting cocky and it was time for some losses...and so they came. I played six games of Magic this week with my usual Junk Angel deck, scoring 3-3 and winning nothing.

My first loss was to David Stroud running Bant Control. I won game 1 because David got land screwed and fell too far behind. However, in the next two games, David's deck put on too much pressure with Jace, Architect of Thought and Garruk, Primal Hunter. As I noted before, Junk Angel seems a bit weak against Planeswalkers, and although Restoration Angel can provide some relief, she's usually not enough against THAT many planeswalkers. In Game 3, David was able to ultimate a Garruk and get like 8 6/6 Wurm tokens. I failed to draw an answer and scooped.

My second loss was to Jund. I generally like this matchup, but my opponent was able to cast Slaughter Games on turn 4 both games, removing the Unburial Rites from my deck (and hand). He also had a couple devastating Rakdos's Returns. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky in this match, or whether this Jund version was just particularly good against my deck.

My third loss was to the Reanimator deck originally piloted by Martin Juza at the Grand Prix. I hate getting net-decked, but hey, we're all guilty of it. I felt totally outgunned in this match, as if my deck was far too slow and stood little chance. The Somberwald Sages are a big problem, almost guaranteeing that my opponent's Craterhoof Behemoth arrives faster than any of my threats. The emergence of this reanimator version, as well as the constant prevalence of Bant Control, may be the reason to abandon Junk Angel momentarily. At least I finally got to see a foil Craterhoof Behemoth.

So there you have it. Not too much to report. I'm 13 Planeswalker Points closer to a level 34 Invoker (only 33 points to go. Woot!). The deck is now 18-4-1 in its current iteration and 40-21-3 overall. Until next time....

1 comment: